May 2016 Commencement
Norfolk State University will celebrate its 98th Commencement on Saturday, May 7, 2016 at the Norfolk Scope Arena. The academic processional will begin at 9:30 a.m. and the ceremony will immediately follow at 10 a.m. The Norfolk Scope Arena is located at 215 E. Brambleton Avenue in downtown Norfolk between St. Paul’s Boulevard and Monticello Avenue.
Please view the Commencement Booklet for complete details about the event.
The Office of University Events provides Commencement 101 Sessions for May 2016 Graduates to provide important details to help students prepare for their Commencement. If you were unable to attend the meeting, please view the webinar here.
Please click here to complete a survey about Commencement 101.
For more information, please call the Office of University Events at 757-823-2704.
- Each graduates will receive 10 tickets to distribute to family and friends.
- A Ceremony Ticket for commencement is required for all guests of the graduates who plan to view the Commencement Ceremony in the designated seating area in Norfolk Scope Arena.
- All guests over the age of two will be required to have a ticket in order to gain access to the arena.
- Graduates do not need tickets.
- Any unclaimed tickets will be distributed to the general public on a first come first served basis on commencement morning in front of the Norfolk Scope Box Office starting at 7am.
- Additional tickets will NOT be distributed prior to commencement morning, Saturday, May 7. NO EXCEPTIONS.
- Graduates make pick up their tickets at Harrison B. Wilson Hall Suite 410. Please bring a printed copy showing that you have completed the Graduating Student Exit Survey and your Student ID.
Faculty members should arrive at the Norfolk Scope Arena no later than 9:00 a.m. Full academic regalia (robe, hood and cap) is required for those participating in the academic processional. Appropriate business attire should be worn under the robes. Athletic gear and/or casual wear are prohibited. Please allow extra time as all individuals participating in commencement will use the same entry and security check points.
Plan to be at the ceremony at least 30 minutes before the posted ceremony start time. Doors to the Norfolk Scope Arena will open at 7 a.m. Seating will be on a first-come first-serve basis. All guests must have a ceremony ticket in order to enter into the Norfolk Scope Area. Please contact your graduate regarding a ceremony ticket.
Professional photographs will be taken of each graduate as they walk the stage to shake the officiant's hand and receive their diploma cover. Please do not attempt to take photographs during the ceremony.
Please remain in your seats for the duration of the ceremony. Please do not block the aisles or passageways by attempting to greet or take photos with graduates.
Congratulations to Norfolk State University’s Class of 2015! Welcome to the ranks of more than 30,000 alumni worldwide! Photos of Commencement are available here. You can purchase photos from Grad Images here for December's Commencement. And videos are available for purchase here.
Stay connected with your Alma Mater