December 2016 Graduates
Congratulations to Norfolk State University’s Class of 2016! Welcome to the ranks of more than 30,000 alumni worldwide! Photos of Commencement are available here. You can purchase photos from Grad Images here from Commencement. And videos are available for purchase here.
Stay connected with your Alma Mater
May 2017 Commencement
Norfolk State University will celebrate its 100th Commencement on Saturday, May 6, 2017 at the Norfolk Scope Arena. More information will be forthcoming. The Norfolk Scope Arena is located 201 E. Brambleton Avenue in downtown Norfolk between St. Paul’s Boulevard and Monticello Avenue.
Please view the Commencement Booklet for complete details about the event. Coming Soon
Commencement Check List Coming soon
The Office of University Events provides Commencement 101 Sessions for May 2017 Graduates to provide important details to help students prepare for their Commencement.
Session One: March 1, 2017 Student Center 138B 6-7:00pm
View the Commencement 101 Webinar here
You can view a recording of the webinar here from Commencement 101 Session One.
For more information, please call the Office of University Events at 757-823-2704.
- Each graduates will receive a pre-determined number tickets to distribute to family and friends.
- A Ceremony Ticket for commencement is required for all guests of the graduates who plan to view the Commencement Ceremony in the designated seating area in The Norfolk Scope Arena.
- All guests over the age of two will be required to have a ticket in order to gain access to the Arena.
- Graduates do not need tickets.
- Any unclaimed tickets will be distributed to the general public on a first-come, first-serve basis on commencement morning in front of the Norfolk Scope Box Office starting at 7 a.m. *Additional tickets will not be distributed prior to commencement morning. No exceptions. Please do not call the Office of University Events to inquire about additional tickets.
- Graduates make pick up their tickets at Harrison B. Wilson Hall Suite 410. Please bring a printed copy showing that you have completed the Graduating Student Exit Survey and your Student ID.
Faculty members should arrive at the The Norfolk Scope Arena no later than 9:00 a.m. Full academic regalia (robe, hood and cap) is required for those participating in the academic processional. Appropriate business attire should be worn under the robes. Athletic gear and/or casual wear are prohibited. Please allow extra time as all individuals participating in commencement will use the same entry and security check points.
Plan to be at the ceremony at least 30 minutes before the posted ceremony start time. All guests must have a ceremony ticket in order to enter into the The Norfolk Scope Arena. Please contact your graduate regarding a ceremony ticket.
Professional photographs will be taken of each graduate as they walk the stage to shake the officiant's hand and receive their diploma cover.
Please remain in your seats for the duration of the ceremony. Please do not block the aisles or passageways by attempting to greet or take photos with graduates.