Through exemplary teaching, scholarship, and outreach, Norfolk State University transforms lives and communities by empowering individuals to maximize their potential, creating life-long learners equipped to be engaged leaders and productive global citizens.
Norfolk State University will be recognized nationally for its outstanding academic programs, innovative research, scholarship, and global outreach, advancing the transformative power of education to change lives and communities.
Norfolk State University’s strength lies in its value system. These core values embody the principles, ideals, and beliefs of our students, faculty, staff, and Board of Visitors. They form the foundation for our actions, and reflect what’s important to us as members of the Norfolk State University community:
- Academic Excellence – We are dedicated to fostering the highest educational standards of excellence for student achievement and faculty teaching and scholarship by creating stimulating learning environments that promote intellectual growth, innovation and discovery, and life-long learning.
- Student-Centered – Students are our top priority, and we are committed to helping them become globally competitive in an enriching, stimulating and supportive environment.
- Diversity – We embrace and respect all people, cultures, ideas, beliefs, lifestyles, and perspectives.
- Integrity and Collegiality – We expect everyone to be accountable for his or her actions and to engage in honest, ethical behavior. We value the contributions of each person, treating all with respect and civility, and affirm our shared responsibility for institutional success.
- Engagement – We assert our commitment to serve as an important strategic partner and resource for the Hampton Roads region, Commonwealth of Virginia, and the nation by promoting educational attainment, cultural enrichment, and economic development.