The Center for Professional Development in the School of Education supports all teacher education programs in the schools of Education, Liberal Arts, Science and Technology, and Social Work. The mission of the Center for Professional Development is to provide quality services that support the preparation of educators to work in the P-12 schools.
The Center supports programs at Norfolk State University that grant undergraduate and graduate degrees and certification only for P-6, P-12, and 7-12 licensure; as well as, administration and supervision P-12, school counseling P-12, and school social worker licensure. The programs are accredited by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE) and approved by the Virginia Department of Education (VDOE).
The Center for Professional Development is committed to support education candidates through the academic programs in their respective departments and ensure services in the following areas:
- Placement of field experiences for observations,
- observation/participation, practicum, student teaching, and internship
- Admission to Teacher Education
- Admission to Clinical Practice
- Exit from Clinical Practice
- Application for Licensure
- Teacher Education Resource Center
- Student Virginia Education Association
- Clinical Faculty Training